Sunday, February 20, 2011

Baby's First Birthday

My niece is about to turn 1 and since she is my first niece I am very excited about it!


Being, somewhat, in the line of event planning (albeit, these are corporate, very large, educational, and formal-business events for clients) I love the prospect of planning her first birthday.  Sadly it's not an honor I get to have since my sister-in-law will want to plan this special day for her.  But what harm can it be to envision all the fun types of first birthday parties that can be thrown?!  And dreaming is free!  Here is one of my favorite ideas on Hostess with the Mostess' blog:

A little sunshine - but this is good for a warm day, and it's currently February.

Since my niece's birthday is close to Valentines Day I guess it's only fitting that she have a pink and heart-shaped themed party. Or at least that's what I would throw for her if it was my choice! :)
So, here are some cute ideas for her party, if I was throwing her this Valentine's Day theme party:
Food:
  • Heart shaped ham & cheese and PB&J sandwiches
  • Heart shaped "jello-jigglers"
  • Cut cheese hearts and serve with crackers
Drink:
  • Fruit-punch with heart-shaped ice-cubes
  • Adults - red wine, red-wine spritzer, or add champagne to the fruit punch. (Just keep it separated from the kids punch!)  :) 
Either a birthday cake or cupcakes:
  • I like the idea of both for a first birthday so the birthday child may dig into his/her cake and surprise us all with the adorable mess he/she makes experiencing their very first birthday cake. And the rest of us may enjoy a clean and well portioned, and themed/well decorated cake of our own. 
  • A heart shaped strawberry or red velvet cake with pink butter-creme icing would probably be the cake I would make. 
  • For cupcakes, same type of cake and icing but add a decorative topping like a chocolate heart or a red cherry. Or make a label/flag, attach it to a tooth-pick that reads "Baby's First Birthday!" 
  • Like these pictures: 
 

      For decorations:
      • A "Baby's First Birthday" sign is a must. 
      • Heart shaped balloons with normal shaped balloons, all red, pink and white. And of course, a happy birthday themed balloon. 
      • Pink streamers in the shape of the number 1.
      • Set-up a main table to house the cake on display, the punch, food, and presents. Start decorating this table by  covering it in a white cloth. Keep it simple to not take away from the other decorations or cause the room/table to look gaudy.
      • Sprinkle candy hearts as confetti on the main table top instead of real confetti. 
      • A bouquet of flowers on the main table. Every party needs a nice bouquet of flowers. 
      • Tiny bouquets of heart-shaped lollipops.
      • Pink/white plates and napkins that say Baby's first birthday
      And here is a great article of tips on what to consider when planning your child's First Birthday Party.

      Now I just have to wait in anticipation for my niece's birthday and see what type of party she has. No matter what, it will be special and fun.





      No comments:

      Post a Comment